It’s a tradition: the first week of the year in the 52Frames project is “Self-portrait”. This year, the extra challenge (which I claimed) was to use Rembrandt lighting. So, for once, I knew I had to setup proper studio lights before I started, so I did that:
The setup didn’t require much adjustment / takes: I did raise the camera more than it was in the first takes, and I also dimmed the left light compared to what it initially was. I also learnt to pose myself by facing slightly the dimmer light, which worked better than the initial takes where I didn’t have that consideration.
Edits were somewhat less straightforward than desired, because the black background (… the curtains in that room 😉 ) are slightly reflective, and the initial version was a bit distracting.)
And, there we go, first shot of the year – we’ll see where that goes 🙂
Well, I officially managed to do a 52-week streak of 52Frames in 2020, how about we try to do that again in 2021?
The theme for the first week of the year is, as usual, “Self-portrait”. My first impulse was to go for a standard portrait headshot; I decided against it and went for a more “candid” approach – although this picture is anything but! (It involved a tripod, a remote, and moving around a bit of furniture…).
But hey, I got a shot (and considering my motivation today, that counts as a very large achievement.) Also, just for the ad, my mug comes from Robin Grigg Wood’s Redbubble and I like it a lot, so there’s that.
New year means – trying once again to restart 52Frames, and hope that it sticks, and if it doesn’t stick, well, it will have lasted for as long as it will have had, and hopefully I’ll get a few reasonable pictures out of it.
Traditionally, the first 52Frames theme of the year is the self-portrait – it’s actually a pretty good idea to kick-off the year, I think 🙂
Last year, Pierre bought a few Yongnuo 300-III LED panels with which I hadn’t yet taken the time to play. So this self-portrait is my first foray into “proper” portrait photography with a three-point lighting – main light left and above, secondary light right and a bit lower, and light behind to separate the subject (err, me) from the backdrop (err, my black curtain in the TV room.)
I then ran a few edits on Darktable – fixing the exposition and whatnot, removing a couple of really major skin blotches (considering what’s left, I’ll let you imagine what I removed 😉 ), and SHIP IT!
And I decided I was happy enough with it to change my 7+-year old Facebook profile photo – so you may have seen that picture already, but now you get a tiny bit of behind the scenes too 🙂